Montgomery County Reibold Building, Elder Dry Goods Store
Structure in general
- The building was named for the developer, Louis Napoleon Reibold, and has housed a department store and offices. This most recent renovation will provide new office space for the Montgomery County government.
- The Reibold Building was constructed in three phases; the center section in 1896, the South annex in 1904, and the the North annex in 1914.
- Otis Elevator Company installed 4 escalators here in 1934, the first ones in Dayton. These escalators are still operational and are, with escalators in Connecticut and at the Smithsonian, the only examples surviving from that era.
- A major renovation and addition of an 11-level parking structure by Architects Associated, Inc., L. B. Robinson Inc., and Heapy Engineering was completed in late 2002.
- The Reibold Building was Dayton's tallest from 1896 until 1904, when the Centre City Building, then known as the United Brethren Building, was completed.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
117 South Main Street
Also recorded for this building:
Escalator supplier, MEP engineering, General contractor, Developer
Features & Amenities
- National landmark