Public Service Building
Structure in General
- In 1999, the cost of the renovation was US $20 million.
- Originally, the building consisted of one 16-story body with two 2-story wings; In 1957 the two 2-story wing were extended to 12-story each.
- The original red-and-green neon signs on the top of building were taken down in 1973.
- The neon signs read: heat, light, and gas aimed in different directions.
- Charles K. Greene began the initial design process.
- The building was the tallest in Portland until the early 1960s.
- The signs were taken down when the original red-tile roof was replaced by a metal one.
- One of the major goals during the 1999 building renovation was to reduce energy costs by about US $160,000 per year with new and more efficient technologies.
- The 1999 renovation completed a month early and at a savings of nearly US $2 million.
- Since 1976, the building has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
- Architect A.E. Doyle died three weeks after the building's grand opening in January 1928.
- The Goodman family purchased the building in 1992 from New England Life Insurance Co. for, the Oregonian reportedly, US $3 million.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
Also recorded for this building:
general contractor, structural engineering, tenant
Features & Amenities
- City landmark