Pioneer Press Building
Structure in General
active heating (unspecified)
yes, centrally controlled
- The Pioneer Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
- At the completion of construction in 1889, the Pioneer Building had 12 stories and was the tallest building west of Chicago, surpassing St. Paul's previous tallest, the Globe Building.
- The Pioneer Building was the tallest in St. Paul from 1889 until 1915, when the Merchant's Bank Building, directly across Robert Street, was completed.
- Solon S. Beman, the original architect, designed four additional floors which were added in 1909, 20 years after the completion of construction.
- The offices and elevators are arranged around an interior light court, the only surviving example in the Twin Cities from the 19th century.
- The Pioneer Building was an early home of Minnesota's first newspaper, now known as the Pioneer Press. The newspaper is now located in the aptly-named Pioneer Press Building, a few blocks to the west.
- The Pioneer Building still employed elevator operators as of June 2004.
- Four elevators rise along the west side of the light court. They are grouped into two sets of two, separated by a stairwell.
- A plaque inside the building indicates it was the home of the world's first telephone answering service, implemented in 1927.
- The building is adjoined on the east and north by the Endicott Building. The buildings are connected at the ground and skyway levels.
- The foundation consists of more than 600 wooden piles.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
332-344 North Robert Street
121-129 East 4th Street
336 North Robert Street
Also recorded for this building:
escalator supplier, structural engineering, construction company, elevator supplier, property management, real estate agent
Features & Amenities
- One of the city's famous buildings
- City landmark
- National landmark
- Light court is present
- Panoramic elevators are present