Structure in General
- Fire Insurance maps indicate the building is 84 feet to the main roof, not including the penthouse.
- The 1949 earthquake damaged the 7th floor tower beyond repair and was removed shortly thereafter.
- In addition to the building itself, the historic designation includes the Tlingit Totem Pole and Iron Pergola in adjacent Pioneer Place Park.
- The Iron Pergola was built in 1909 as a shelter for waiting streetcar riders.
- The Seattle Underground Tour originates from this location.
- The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
- The building sits on the site of the Seattle area's first sawmill (1853) belonging to Henry Yesler (1810-1892), the surveyor of Puget Sound.
- The architectural style of the red brick and terra-cotta building is that of Richardsonian-Romanesque design.
- During the Klondike Gold Rush of 1897, at least 48 different mining firms had offices in the building.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
600-610 First Avenue
100-110 James Street
600 First Avenue
Features & Amenities
- One of the city's famous buildings
- City landmark
- National landmark