Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial
Structure in General
- The monument commemorates the 10 September 1813 U.S. defeat of British warships lead by Commodore Oliver Hazzard Perry in the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812.
- A replica of a mural of the battle is located in the Ottawa County Courthouse in nearby Port Clinton.
- Architect John Eisenmann was awarded $1,500 US dollars as compensation for his original design of the monument which was not selected.
- On June 2, 1936, the monument was made part of the National Park Service by President Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882-1945).
- The monument is the tallest doric column in the world.
- The fourth tallest monument in the United States; the next tallest is the Washington Monument in Washington, DC.
- The monument was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1966.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
Also recorded for this building:
consultant, elevator supplier, excavation company, facade consultant, facade supplier, general contractor, landscape architect, structural engineering
Features & Amenities
- National landmark