One Prudential Plaza
Structure in General
- When the Prudential Building was finished it had the highest roof in Chicago. Only the statue of Ceres on the Board of Trade rose higher.
- This was the first high-rise office building completed in Chicago since the LaSalle Bank Building in 1934.
- Underneath the building is the Randolph Street terminal of the Metra Electric Line commuter railroad, serving the south side and south suburbs.
- By 1956 the observation deck had already attracted a million visitors.
- The building had a public observation deck until a new generation of much taller skyscrapers made it obsolete.
- Initial design schemes called for two symmetrically placed side masses at the lower floors; instead the western bustle was eliminated and the eastern one heightened to open the building towards Michigan Avenue.
- The facade is made of vertical strips of limestone and ridged aluminum.
- When it opened the building included one of the largest parking facilities built within an office building in the world.
- Upon completion in 1955, the tower featured the world's fastest elevators.
- One Prudential Plaza was built above and beyond office standards of the day and won numerous industry awards for its design.
- The wall next to the main entrance shows a relief carving of the Rock of Gibraltar, the symbol of the Prudential Insurance Company designed by Alfonzo Ianelli.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
Also recorded for this building:
electrical contractor, escalator supplier, facade consultant, facade maintenance system supplier, general contractor, owner, property management, sealants & adhesives supplier, structural engineering, wind surveyor, window supplier
Features & Amenities
- Illuminated logo on the facade
- Pedway access is available
- Plaza is available to the public
- Transmission antenna on roof