Structure in General
- Remodeled in 1995/96, the expansive lobby is finished in warm wood, polished granite and hand-fit tile.
- The lobby and plaza were remodeled to bring the look of the building up to date and to reflect the distinctive improvements installed by AirTouch Communications for its international headquarters.
- Located at the foot of California Street off Market Street, the building is convenient to all Bay Area public transportation including the historic California Street Cable Car line.
- Constructed atop the site formally occupied by the Fife Building.
- Originally built as Mutual Benefit Life this tower was a prominent player in the "Manhattanization" of San Francisco in the late 1960s along with the Bank of America (52 stories) and the Crocker Building (38 stories) featured in a 1970 Newsweek story.
- The white precast concrete columns on the exterior were lightly sandblasted to expose the aggregate.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
Also recorded for this building:
developer, electrical engineering, general contractor, mechanical engineering, owner, structural engineering, tenant