Minneapolis City Hall
Structure in General
- The building is constructed of red granite, and designed in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. It occupies a block 300 feet square.
- A colossal statue "Father of Waters" by Larking Goldsmith Mead is located in the 4th Street rotunda.
- The Minneapolis City Hall was originally constructed with a terra cotta roof. This was replaced in the 1950s with the current copper roof.
- The building is connected by tunnel to the US Federal Courthouse and the Hennepin County Government Center.
- The adjacent block of 5th Street was permanently closed to vehicular traffic in early 2002 to make way for a new light rail station serving Minneapolis City Hall and the Hennepin County Government Center, just to the south.
- The building is an excellent example of the romanesque style applied to municipal buildings in the United States. The City Hall and County Courthouse just a few miles to the east in St. Paul is an excellent example of the art moderne style, typically employed just a couple of decades later.
- The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
- It was the tallest structure in Minneapolis until completion of the W Minneapolis - The Foshay in 1929.
- Ford Brothers Glass Company designed and manufactured the rotunda's stained glass windows and skylight.
- Building is 341 feet to base of flagpole, from original linen drawings at University of Minnesota.
- A 'green' roof will be installed in 2008; green roofs feature plants which absorb rainwater, mitigate the effects of urban heat islands, and help insulate the building.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
Also recorded for this building:
bell foundry, construction company, glass supplier, lighting consultant
Features & Amenities
- One of the city's famous buildings
- City landmark
- National landmark
- Atrium is present
- Clock(s) displayed on the outside