Milwaukee City Hall
Structure in General
- Designed in the Flemish Renaissance style, this was one of the tallest buildings in the world at the end of the 19th Century.
- The cornerstone was laid on 24 February 1894 and the building was dedicated on 23 December 1895.
- Inside the building is a 20 by 70 foot open well.
- The bell was produced by the local firm G. Campbell and Sons and is named for Solomon Juneau, Milwaukee's first mayor.
- The flagpole rises 40 feet above the bell tower roof.
- The lower floors are faced in Berea Sandstone and the upper floors are of pressed brick.
- It occupies the entire trapezoidal block bounded by Kilbourn Avenue, Wells, Water, and Market Streets.
- It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
- The upper part of the tower was rebuilt after a damaging fire in October 1929.
- A $70 million renovation began in early 2006 and is expected to continue through 2008.
- The tallest building in Milwaukee for 78 years, until the completion of the U.S. Bank Center (now US Bank Center) in 1973.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
Also recorded for this building:
architectural metalwork supplier, excavation company, facade designer, facade supplier, general contractor, steel supplier
Features & Amenities
- One of the city's famous buildings
- National landmark