Structure in general
- The parapet in front of the building holds the Chicago Retail Hall of Fame, with metal busts of major local retailers.
- Largest office building in Chicago, and one of the largest in the world.
- Built as a wholesale facility for Marshall Field & Company, the building is still used for trade shows and showrooms.
- Owned by the Kennedy family from 1945 until the 1990's.
- In 1992 the first 2 levels were converted to retail, with a department store, food court, and several shops.
- The lobby appeared in the movie "Hudsucker Proxy" as the interior of the Hudsucker Company headquarters (which was actually set in New York City).
- The building has a trapezoidal shape with a diagonal side on Orleans Street. Within the block it is honeycombed by several light courts.
- The lobby is decorated with 17 murals by Jules Guerin illustrating commerce around the world.
- Until 2004 the Merchandise Mart housed the headquarters of the Chicago Transit Authority, the public agency which runs Chicago's buses and rapid transit lines.
- A major el station for the Brown & Purple Lines occupies the northeast corner of the second floor, connected to platforms over Wells Street.
- An enclosed bridge designed by Helmut Jahn links the Merchandise Mart to the Apparel Center across Orleans Street.
- One of the Mart's most notable customers was the Sultan of Brunei, who dropped $1.6 million here to furnish his entire palace. He claimed that this was the only place in the world where the task could be completed in one week.
- The building is so large that it has its own zip code: 60654.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
- Graham, Anderson, Probst & White
- Beyer Blinder Belle Architects & Planners LLP
- Jack Train Associates, Inc.
Also recorded for this building:
General contractor, Developer, Owner, Mechanical systems installation, Facade supplier, Steel supplier, Tenant, Elevator supplier, Structural engineering, Facade consultant, Roofing supplier
Features & Amenities
- One of the city's famous buildings
- Doorman is available
- Floodlighting at night
- Light court is present
- Metro entrance inside building
- Pedway access is available