Emporis GmbH
Cart (0 item(s))
Your Location: World North America Canada Manitoba Winnipeg Manitoba Legislative Building

Manitoba Legislative Building

Identification

Manitoba Legislative Building
The Legislative Assembly of Manitoba
112731

Map

Structure in General

monumental hall
existing [completed]
limestone
applied masonry
white
light brown
beaux-arts / historism

Usage

capitol (national subdivision)

Facts

  • Manitoba's Legislative Building, principal among public buildings in the province, accommodates the legislative assembly, its committees and staff, as well as offices for the ministers and deputy ministers of all government departments.
  • Became a provincially designated heritage site on May 12th, 1989.
  • Twelve hectares of landscaped grounds surround the building.
  • Government House; the official residence of the Lieutenant-Governor of Manitoba is situated on the east side of the grounds.
  • The Golden Boy, a 4.9 metre high statue on top of the Legislative Building's dome, is one of Manitoba's most famous symbols.
  • Sculptor George Gardet of Paris modelled the Golden Boy and the two life-size bison in the lobby.
  • There were 67 submissions in the architectural design competition for the building.
  • The winning designer was awarded a $10,000 cash prize.
  • The four sculpture groups at the four corners of the tower at the base of the building's dome represent agriculture, art, industry and science.
  • The bison sculptures beside the grand staircase weigh 2,268 kilograms each.
  • The tyndall stone used on the exterior was quarried at Garson,just east of Lockport Manitoba.
  • The Golden Boy is modeled on the 16th century sculpture of Mercury by Giovanni da Bologna.
  • The Golden Boy was originally painted in gold but was gilded in 1951.
  • The Golden Boy statue was lifted down from the Legislative Building dome by crane on Saturday, Feb. 9, 2002 for a complete $1.1 million restoration.
  • $5,600 of tissue-thin 24-carat gold foil was applied one sheet at a time over special yellow primer on the statue as part of the restoration project.
  • An electric light was added to the Golden Boy's torch in 1966 & was lit on December 31, 1966 to mark Canada's centennial; the light was removed during the 2002 restoration.
  • Building architect Simon and sculptor Gardet both attended the Paris School of Art at the same time.
  • Gardet's official name for the Golden Boy sculpture is "Eternal Youth".
  • The names of five great world legislators, Confucius of China, Justinian of Rome, King Alfred of England, Lycurgus of Greece and Manu of India are carved on stone tablets and mounted on the walls of the legislative chamber.
  • Gardet also sculpted the bronze statues of lawmakers Moses and Solon that are in niches on each side of the speakers chair in the legislative chamber.

Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?

More Information

Location

10 Kennedy Street
Canada

Technical Data

252.99 ft
252.99 ft
252.99 ft
1913
1920

Involved Companies

Architect:

Also recorded for this building:

deconstruction consultant

Features & Amenities

  • One of the city's famous buildings