Sam Shubert Theatre, Majestic Theatre, The Majestic, Hampton Majestic Chicago Theatre District
Structure in General
commercial office hotel
- Even though the building is situated mid-block, its cornice extends around all four sides since it was the tallest building around and highly visible when first built.
- The LaSalle Bank Theatre, one of the principal live-performance theaters in the Loop, is located in the base of this building.
- The theater was used for vaudeville acts and occasionally as a cinema during its early years. Since World War II it has hosted touring Broadway shows.
- Some of the famous performers who have appeared on stage here include Eddie Foy, Harry Houdini, Lily Langtry and Mabel McKinley.
- The theatre originally opened in 1906 as the Majestic Theatre, after its namesake encompassing building, The Majestic.
- Forced to close during the Great Depression, the theatre was purchased by the Shubert Organization in 1945, remodeled, and reopened as the "Sam Shubert Theatre.".
- By some sources, it was once Chicago's tallest building.
- The building was sold to the Nederlander Organization in 1991 and, in 2005, underwent restoration and a name change to the LaSalle Bank Theatre.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information