Macy's at State Street
Structure in General
- The building is essentially built on a six-part grid, with sections added to the original building in 1902, 1906, 1907, and 1914.
- The basement luggage department was formerly set up as a miniature of architect Helmut Jahn's tunnel at the United Terminal in O'Hare Airport.
- A mosaic dome by the Tiffany studio tops a 5-story atrium in the southwest corner. The northwest section has a 13-story skylit atrium, and a newer atrium in the center is bridged by double escalator banks.
- Every year a three-story Christmas tree is installed in the famous Walnut Room dining area, with a viewing area on the 8th floor.
- The building is a major hub of the Loop Pedway System, with connections to the east, west, and south. The pedway skirts the basement shopping area, and leads directly into the State/Washington subway station.
- In the 1920s, novelists G.K. Chesterton and Sinclair Lewis met in the book department in this store, leading to their collaboration on the unpublished play "Mary Queen of Scotch".
- This building plays a role in the novel The 42nd Parallel by John Dos Passos, as character Eric Egstrom gets a job in the interior decorating department.
- It was a named a National Historic Landmark in 1978.
- The venerable Marshall Field's name was retired in September 2006 when the store became "Macy's on State Street" as part of a consolidation of all nameplates owned by Cincinnati-based Federated Department Stores.
- An underground public concourse connects the basement to 25 East Washington, which used to house the Marshall Field's Men's Store.
- Actress Dorothy Lamour, who co-starred with Bob Hope and Bing Crosby in the Road movies, used to work as an elevator operator in this store.
- The traditional symbols of the store are the green clocks which overhang the corners of Randolph and Washington on State Street.
- The store has two fountains: one on the first floor in the central atrium, and one in the Narcissus Room on the 7th floor (used for private functions).
- One of the first high-rise buidings demolished in Chicago - the Trude Building - was taken down in 1912 to clear the northeast corner of the store's site.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
Also recorded for this building:
developer, elevator supplier, escalator supplier, facade consultant, facade maintenance system supplier, lighting consultant, owner
Features & Amenities
- One of the city's famous buildings
- National landmark
- Atrium is present
- Clock(s) displayed on the outside
- Fountain is present in building
- Metro entrance inside building
- Panoramic elevators are present
- Pedway access is available