Los Angeles City Hall
Los Angeles City Hall
Structure in General
governmental office city hall
- Concrete that the tower is made from was formed from sand taken from each of California's 58 counties and water from each of its 21 missions.
- For decades no building in Los Angeles was allowed to exceed the height of City Hall.
- It was the location of The Daily Planet in the hit Superman show on television.
- The top of the tower was designed to resemble the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.
- The Charles Lindbergh Beacon, an aircraft guidance light, was recovered from a warehouse, restored, and replaced atop the building during the 2001 renovation.
- City Hall was dedicated on April 28, 1928.
- The restored exterior facade skin consists of terra cotta and granite.
- City Hall was constructed with 8,167 tons of structural steel and over 900,000 rivets.
- The entire structure weighs 95,000 tons and is anchored to a solid mat of reinforced concrete which rests on a bed of clay.
- The building's total volume is 12 million cubic feet.
- Just over 500,000 square feet of the building's total floor space is used for city government offices.
- The building is two feet shorter from the Main Street elevation at 452 feet.
- Winner of the 2001 American Public Works Association (APWA) Historic Preservation Award.
- City Hall is made up of three major components - Base: basement to the 4th floor, Mid-rise: 5th to 11th floor, Tower: 12th to pyramid top at the 32nd floor.
- The base of the structure measures 250 feet on the east-west transverse axis, by 476 feet on the north-south longitudinal axis.
- The tower is 100 feet square through the 25th floor.
- The tower Observation Room is on the 27th floor.
- Civic project was the brainchild of Mayor George E. Cryer who promised Los Angeles a new municipal building in 1925.
- Won the 2001 AIA Building Team of the year Award and the 2002 Cultural Heritage Commission Award.
- Tallest building in California from 1928-1964.
- A major renovation and seismic retrofit project was undertaken from 1998-2001. This project included polishing the marble exterior and repairing damage from the 1994 Northridge Earthquake. The building is now supported with 526 base isolators, which will allow the building to move independently of the ground and to sustain an 8.1 quake.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
200 North Spring Street, Temple and Main Streets
Also recorded for this building:
acoustics consultant, concrete supplier, construction company, damper supplier, facade consultant, lighting consultant, steel supplier, structural engineering
Features & Amenities
- One of the city's famous buildings