North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Company Building
Structure in General
- The North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Company, founded in 1898, is the oldest and largest African-American owned and managed insurance company in the United States.
- For many years the headquarters tower was the tallest building in the city.
- It succeeded the Mechanics & Farmers Bank Building as the home of North Carolina Mutual.
- The unusual facade is a stacked series of Vierendeel trusses, each composed of 47 T-shaped and I-shaped precast concrete segments held together with post-tensioning. Each truss is 21 feet high and spans 110 feet, including a 34 foot cantilever at each end.
- To emphasize the structure's prominence, the building was placed at the highest point on the site.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
411 West Chapel Hill Street