North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Company Building
Structure in general
- The North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Company, founded in 1898, is the oldest and largest African-American owned and managed insurance company in the United States.
- For many years the headquarters tower was the tallest building in the city.
- It succeeded the Mechanics & Farmers Bank Building as the home of North Carolina Mutual.
- The unusual facade is a stacked series of Vierendeel trusses, each composed of 47 T-shaped and I-shaped precast concrete segments held together with post-tensioning. Each truss is 21 feet high and spans 110 feet, including a 34 foot cantilever at each end.
- To emphasize the structure's prominence, the building was placed at the highest point on the site.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information