Michigan Lafayette Building
Structure in general
- After years of mismanagement, and a declining tenant base, the building was finally shuttered in 1997.
- The building contains 178 feet of frontage along Michigan Avenue, 168 feet of frontage along Shelby Street, 135 feet of frontage along Lafayette Boulevard, and is 85 feet in length along its east facade which stands mid-block.
- The Peebles Atlanic Development Corporation announced on December 15th, 2005 that they planned to convert the Lafayette into one of Detroit's premier condominium buildings, but the plans fell apart in early 2007 after the negotiations between the city and developer collapsed.
- The building was developed by the partnership of George G. Epstean and Julius Herman as a speculative, high-end office property, and its interior include marble drinking fountains and walnut wood trim.
- In its early years, the building's main tenants were the Bohn Aluminium & Brass Company, the offices of the Michigan Supreme Court, and the State Tax Tribunal, as well as the offices of many courts due to it being built across from the Theodore Levin United States Courthouse.
- The Detroit Downtown Development Authority announced in March 2009 that they were seeking bids for the demolition of this building. However, the mayor placed demolition plans on hold in April 2009.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
133 Michigan Avenue
1000 Shelby Street
144 West Lafayette Boulevard