Jin Mao Tower
Structure in General
- The tallest building in the People's Repulic of China from 1999 to 2008, when it was replaced by Shanghai World Financial Center.
- Bregman + Hamann Architects was involved in the design of the Grand Hyatt's food court/theatre area.
- Replaced King Tower as the tallest building in Shanghai.
- Contains the world's highest hotel rooms, and is the world's tallest building with a hotel inside. The Ryugyong Hotel in North Korea is still considered the world's tallest hotel because it is a pure hotel and not mixed-use.
- Designed by Adrian D. Smith, FAIA, RIBA Design Partner at Skidmore Owings & Merrill LLP.
- The hotel atrium starts at the 53rd floor and extend upwards to the 87th floor. It has a clear height of 152 meters and a diameter of 27 meters, making it one of the tallest atriums in the world.
- The tower is designed to withstand an earthquake of 6 on the Richter scale and the strongest level of typhoon.
- Offices occupy floors 3 through 50. A 5-star Grand Hyatt Hotel fills the top 38 floors with 555 rooms.
- The building's shape draws on traditional Chinese forms, especially the tiered pagoda.
- Grand Hyatt Shanghai occupies floors 53-87.
- The tower has an observatory (with a floor space of 1,520 square metres) on the 88th floor, at a height of 340.1 metres. It is the largest and highest observation deck in China. Admission is 50 rmb (about $6 US).
- The maximum elevator speed is 546 m/min.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
- East China Architectural Design & Research Institute Co. Ltd.
- Shanghai Institute of Architectural Design & Research Co.Ltd (SIADR)
Also recorded for this building:
developer, electrical engineering, elevator consultant, elevator supplier, escalator supplier, facade supplier, fire protection engineering, floor installation, general contractor, interior designer, lighting consultant, real estate agent, structural engineering, tenant, wind surveyor, window supplier
Features & Amenities
- One of the city's famous buildings
- Observation floor is available
- Public parking is available