Structure in general
yes, centrally controlled
shop(s) restaurant parking
- The IDS Tower supports two telecommunications antennae rising to 910 feet, the highest point in Minneapolis.
- IDS Tower surpassed the W Minneapolis - The Foshay, the city's tallest since 1929.
- The 50th floor is home to the Windows on Minnesota, a banquet facility operated in conjunction with The Marquette Hotel.
- This building formerly housed a public observation deck, but it has been closed since the late 1990s. The only remaining observation deck in the Twin Cities is in the Foshay Tower.
- The zig-zag shape of the tower's floorplan allows for 32 corner offices on every floor.
- Films with scenes shot in the tower or neighboring Crystal Court include "Purple Rain", "Foolin' Around", and "Joe Somebody".
- The design evolved out of a circa-1962 12-story headquarters building concept for Investors Diversified Services.
- The architects were recognized with an Honor Award for Design from the American Institute of Architects in 1975.
- The building was featured prominently in the opening sequence for the much-loved 1970s sitcom, the Mary Tyler Moore Show.
- Midwest Plaza, located directly across 8th Street, was the home of the fictional WJM-TV of the Mary Tyler Moore Show.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
701 Nicollet Mall
80 8th Street South
Recorded for this building:
Shell construction, Elevator supplier, Steel supplier, Construction company, Owner, Antenna site management, Property management, Surveyor
Features & Amenities
- One of the city's famous buildings