Structure in General
- The Zinzendorf Hotel was named for Count Nicholas Ludwig von Zinzendorf of Saxony, leader of the revived Moravian Church which founded Salem in 1766.
- It was developed by the Forsyth Hotel Corp., a group of leading businessmen who felt the growing industrial center of Winston needed a first-class hotel.
- Features considered modern at the time included telephones and washstands with hot and cold running water in each room; thirty rooms had private baths.
- Other features included public spaces such as a lobby, ballroom, and dining room, an Otis elevator, and a boiler located in a separate building for safety.
- In 1915, with occupancy running at 95 percent, a large veranda facing Main Street was removed to allow the addition of 40 new rooms.
- The Zinzendorf was eclipsed as Winston-Salem's showplace hotel when the Robert E. Lee opened in 1921.
- Though severely distressed financially during the Depression, industrious management made the hotel a money-maker from 1935 until it closed in 1970.
- The building was razed in the fall of 1970 to make way for the Federal Building.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information