Hotel del Coronado
Structure in General
- Designated a National Historic Landmark in 1977.
- Founders Elisha Babcock and H.L. Story conceived of a hotel that would be "the talk of the Western world".
- The resort is located along 31 oceanfront acres on Coronado Island between San Diego Bay and the Pacific Ocean.
- The Del is one of the largest wooden buildings in the United States.
- Although forever referred to as Victorian, the architectural style is considered to be that of Queen Anne Revival.
- The first wedding was celebrated here in 1887 while the hotel was still under construction.
- The smash 1958 movie 'Some Like It Hot', with Marilyn Monroe, was filmed at The Del.
- By April 2006, eleven U.S. presidents have visited the resort, beginning with President Benjamin Harrison on April 23, 1891, stopping for breakfast.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
Also recorded for this building:
interior designer, lighting consultant, owner
Features & Amenities
- One of the city's famous buildings
- City landmark
- National landmark