Hilton President Kansas City
Structure in General
- In May 2002, a proposal to renovate the President Hotel into a 225-unit apartment building was announced.
- Headquarters hotel for the 1928 Republican National Convention which nominated Herbert Hoover for President of the USA.
- The Drum Room with Warren Durrett's Orchestra served as the backdrop for many noteable performers in their way through Kansas City over the years.
- Singer Marilyn Maye got her start in the Drum Room in 1955 with Warren Durrett's Orchestra before going on to the Tonight Show, Las Vegas and a long career in pop and jazz.
- A local developer has been given until the end of 2003 to prove, #1 there is a market for a 200 room boutique hotel and, #2 he has the financing for the hotel and an adjacent 12-story tower where a parking lot is now to the north for leased townhomes.
- The $44-million dollar renovation will be backed with $14 million dollars in city-issued revenue bonds, which will assure the developer's private financial arrangements.
- The "new" President is scheduled to re-open by the end of 2005 as the Hilton Hotel President with 214 "boutique" hotel rooms. Plans for the adjacent President Townhomes have been dropped.
- Applications will be filed to officially secure state and federal historic status for the property.
- On January 8, 2004, the Kansas City, MO City Council redesignated the stalled renovation project from a Tax Increment Financing (TIF) status to inclusion in the "Kansas City Live" Project. The land is physically within that project's boundaries.
- The Hilton President Hotel renovation project will be integrated by the Cordish Co., of Baltimore into the new "Kansas City Live" development, headlined by the world headquarters of H&R Block & Co.
- Ronald Jury of Jury & Associates of Overland Park, Kansas will continue as the redeveloper of record, following a three-year struggle to revive the property, which has been abandoned 24 years.
- Eighty-years after the original grand opening, the Hilton President Kansas City will re-open on January 11, 2006 (subbing/correcting information).
- The Hilton President Hotel was officially opened on January 5, 2006.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
Also recorded for this building:
developer, general contractor, interior designer, investment advisor, steel supplier
Features & Amenities
- One of the city's famous buildings