Structure in General
- The lift core's concrete is reinforced with steels bars 20 millimeters in diameter.
- Galasa had an ad on the top of the south lift concrete core during construction.
- The south lift concrete core form work was removed on October 14, 2004.
- The concrete lift cores topped out in September 2004, reaching the total height of 105 meters.
- The north communication center is used for services and has cargo elevators.
- The floors of the south communication center are transparent, made of steel and glass.
- Concrete caissons are 2 meters wide and were made in groups of 4.
- This is the tallest hotel owned by Hoteles Hesperia.
- The hotel was expected to open spring 2004 but problems during the foundation work and a construction delay during summer 2003 delayed the opening date.
- Floors free of columns with ten big columns built in the facades (5 in each one).
- The project's height required special approval from Barcelona's airport authority.
- The complex will hold investigation centers, convention centers and the central offices of the company.
- This hotel is the tallest building in Catalonia autonomous region outside Barcelona city.
- The panoramic restaurant weighs 32 tonnes, is 500 sq meters and its round shape is 24 meters in diameter.
- The main crane, during the construction process, had a sign with the name of the construction company illuminated at night.
- Was the highest building in the city, over Hospital Residencia Principes de España, but was surpassed by towers in Fira de Barcelona-2.
- The hotel's external stairways are similar to those on architect Richard Rogers' earlier The Lloyd's Building.
- Part of the hotel's rooftop is a panoramic restaurant (called 'El Recó de Can Fabes', owned by prestige chef Santi Santamaria) which is capped with a 'pod', expressed in the form of a geodesic dome fashioned from glass and steel weighing in at 40 tonnes.
- The first 5-star hotel to be built in the city.
- Hotel features a view restaurant on top of the building.
- After the building's completion and inauguration, a bright red sign was added to the top bearing the name of the hotel.
- The restaurant inside the dome, named Evo, received recognition from the prestigious guide Michelin.
- The tallest crane was removed on 11 November 2005.
- The cost of the complex will be 52€ million.
- The panoramic stairs which connect the hotel with the restaurant were also lifted with the mobile crane used to lift the restaurant. The stairs were lifted on 5th May.
- The huge crane used to lift the panoramic restaurant was the same that worked on Torre Agbar and El Temple de la Sagrada Família.
- The panoramic restaurant base was lifted on April 29, 2005, and the glass dome on May 3rd.
- The special crane to lift the panoramic restaurant arrived at the construction site in April 2004.
- The domed restaurant at the building's top will be placed with a special 800-ton crane from Cádiz. Construction started on 7 March 2005.
- On 22 December 2004, the construction company began installing the orange finishing of the curtain wall facade.
- Hoteles Hesperia placed big ads during construction with one announcing the opening of the hotel in 2005 and another on the top sporting the company's name.
- A 5-floor glass lobby connects the hotel tower with the convention center.
- The building has two vertical comunication centers, one each on the north and south sides.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
Also recorded for this building:
concrete supplier, construction company, crane supplier (construction), electrical engineering, elevator supplier, excavation company, facade engineering, facade maintenance system supplier, facade supplier, financing, formwork supplier, foundation company, geotechnical engineering, glass supplier, internal wall supplier, MEP engineering, owner, quantity surveyor, structural engineering, wall insulation supplier
Features & Amenities
- One of the city's famous buildings
- Aircraft warning lights installed
- Conference center is available
- Illuminated logo on the facade
- Panoramic elevators are present