Corpus Christi High Bridge, US Highway 181 Bridge, Portland Bridge
Structure in general
- Post 9/11 security mandates from the city's port transit department prohibit people from taking photos from directly under the bridge.
- This is the second tallest bridge in Texas, and has a span of 620 feet.
- The road deck is 138 feet over the Corpus Christi Channel.
- There is a proposal to replace this bridge with a taller concrete bridge that will allow for taller ships, including cruise ships into Corpus Christi Harbor.
- The bridge first opened to traffic on November 1, 1959.
- NOTE: Another height of 235 feet and 250 feet has been given before for the bridge.
- Construction started in May 1956.
- With the construction of the bridge the channel was widened from 91 feet, to 400 feet. It also provided a replacement for a drawbridge which caused traffic problems on US 181 with ship traffic.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information