Structure in General
- Formerly one of Duluth's premier hotels, the Hotel Duluth was converted into apartments in 1980 and is now known as Greysolon Plaza.
- The light brown brick is accented with elaborate terra-cotta details.
- It is located several blocks east of the main high-rise cluster on West Superior Street, and was, for many years, the only Duluth high-rise east of Lake Avenue.
- The name comes from Daniel Greysolon, Sieur du Luth, the first European explorer to visit the area around Duluth in 1679.
- The ballroom remains one of Duluth's most spectacular public spaces, and is available for special events.
- A large black bear made an unwelcome appearance after crashing through the front window of the hotel's coffee shop in 1929. It was eventually shot by local police, and is currently on display at Grandma's in Duluth's Canal Park.
- The building is U-shaped, opening toward Lake Superior, just two blocks to the southeast.
- Upon renovation, the building's approximately 500 hotel rooms were reconfigured into 150 one-bedroom apartments.
- The developers of Sheraton Duluth & Condominiums, directly across 3rd Avenue, plan to refurbish the apartments in this building in addition to renovating the ballroom facilities.
- The St. Mary's/Duluth Clinic Health System, a few blocks to the north, will be connected to this building via a new skywalk link through 311 Superior by 2010.
- It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a contributing member of the Duluth Commercial Historic District.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
213-231 East Superior Street
227 East Superior Street
Also recorded for this building:
developer, facade supplier, general contractor, owner
Features & Amenities
- One of the city's famous buildings
- National landmark