the Call / Spreckels Building
Structure in general
art deco / art moderne
- Claus Spreckels, the sugar magnate, was the building's namesake. But it was renamed the Call Building when it became home to San Francisco's newspaper, the Morning Call.
- Built of steel and Oregon sandstone the original building was 12 stories and 315 feet and the tallest building west of the Mississippi River for many years.
- The upper floors were set ablaze during the great quake and it burned from the top down; the base at one end moved two feet out into the sidewalk and the elevators refused to work. The shell was used during its reconstruction.
- Radically altered (remodeled) in 1938 by Albert Roller.
- Originally topped by an ornate baroque dome and four corner cupolas, all removed in the 1938 renovation.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
701 Market Street
703 Market Street at Third
Also recorded for this building:
General contractor, Structural engineering
Features & Amenities
- One of the city's famous buildings
- City landmark