Emporis GmbH
Cart (0 item(s))
Your Location: World North America U.S.A. Michigan Detroit Broderick Tower Lofts

Broderick Tower Lofts

Identification

Broderick Tower Lofts
Eaton Tower, Broderick Tower, David Broderick Tower
118549

Map

Structure in General

skyscraper
existing [under renovation]
steel
limestone
applied masonry
light brown
neo-classicism

Usage

residential condominium
restaurant commercial office shop(s)

Facts

  • Renovation work has begun on the tower following the securing of financing in December 2010.
  • Pre-renovation work on this tower started in the winter of 2005, after much speculation.
  • Was the second tallest building in Michigan when it was completed in 1928.
  • After David Broderick's death in 1957, the tower changed hands many times between 1963 and 1976, finally ending up in the hands of the Higgins family, which retains a stake in the ownership to this day.
  • After his purchase of the tower in 1945, David Broderick created the Sky Top Club on the 33rd floor of the tower, which was a private club used for entertaining Mr. Broderick's associates and guests.
  • The building changed ownership and names in 1945, when the tower was purchased by David Broderick, a Detroit insurance broker, which he then renamed after himself.
  • The tower was originally constructed as the Eaton Tower, named after Theodore Horation Eaton, Jr., an importer and dealer in chemicals and dyes.
  • Once the restoration is complete, the tower will contain retail and entertainment floors 1 through 4 (with a separate mezzanine above floor 1), office space on floors 5 and 6, and residential space on the top floors 7 through 34.
  • This tower is in the Chicago School style topped by a Beaux Arts/Neo-classical inspired crown.
  • Before the decorative cornices were removed, this building was 371'-6" to the top of the parapet wall, and 376'-7" tall to the very tip of the decorative cornice.
  • The tower is not a square, but actually a parallelogram in shape.
  • The humpback whale mural on the rear facade of the building was painted by Metro-Detroit native eco-artist, Wyland and was dedicated on Oct. 13, 1997.
  • The building is currently not in use, except for a restaurant on the ground floor.

Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?

More Information

Location

1558-1564 Woodward Avenue
10 Witherell Street
48226
U.S.A.

Technical Data

369.42 ft
365.92 ft
348.76 ft
35
2
1926
1928
2012
4

Involved Companies

Architect:

Also recorded for this building:

civil engineering, construction management, developer, electrical engineering, elevator supplier, environmental consultant, facade engineering, financing, mechanical engineering, owner, project management