Structure in General
- Named for Marshall Alworth, an important Duluth industrialist in the decades around 1900. Heavily involved in the timber industry, he owned large parcels in the Mesaba Range where much of the iron ore used for steel production in the United States originated.
- The Alworth Building was the tallest commercial building in Minnesota from 1910 until 1914, when 501 Marquette in Minneapolis was completed.
- The building shares a front entrance canopy with the neighboring Lonsdale Building.
- This is the tallest mid-block building in Minnesota.
- Construction began on September 12, 1909 and lasted only 9 months, primarily during the harsh Duluth winter.
- The building is faced in brick, with terra cotta details and an elaborate limestone cornice.
- The windows on the top floor are oval, and topped with lion's head sculptures.
- The Alworth Building is the only Daniel Burnham-designed high-rise in the state of Minnesota. He was one of the most important designers of early skycrapers.
- There is a shallow light court, facing the southwest, toward the Torrey Building.
- The Alworth Building is connected to downtown Duluth's climate-controlled skywalk system, including a direct connection to the Harbor Center across Michigan Street.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
306-310 West Superior Street
305-309 West Michigan Street
306 West Superior Street
Also recorded for this building:
owner, property management
Features & Amenities
- One of the city's famous buildings
- Fire escape attached to facade