140 New Montgomery Street
Structure in General
- Construction of the city's first major skyscraper began on New Year's Day, January 1, 1924.
- The building has had same owner from opening day.
- In 1999 a corporate identity enhancement program was completed dramatically illuminating the building, and can be seen at night across the Bay in Oakland.
- The original 13-foot terra-cotta eagles on the top parapet were removed in the 1950's.
- Several hundred historic terra cotta tiles were damaged during the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989 and required restoration. The replacement pieces were 7 lbs. compared to the originals at 130 lbs. each.
- The site's original four-story brick and concrete telephone building, destroyed by fire in 1906, housed 600 employees. Its replacement housed 2,000 telephone employees from eight different locations.
- Office building from 1925 to 2005 when it was vacated, then sold in 2007.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
Also recorded for this building:
construction company, facade engineering, investor, owner
Features & Amenities
- One of the city's famous buildings
- City landmark