1270 Avenue of the Americas
Structure in General
- The building, the namesake building for the RKO film company, was later renamed simply by its street address as the 1270 Avenue of the Americas.
- The most notable, and undoubtedly well-known, feature of the facade is the entrance to neighbouring Radio City Music Hall. This Music Hall is the largest indoor theatre in the world, completed at the same time with the RKO Building.
- The interior design of Radio City Music Hall was done by Donald Deskey in definitive expression of Art Deco. The interiors are now a preserved landmark, complete with the original furniture and decor.
- The 31-storey, vertically striped limestone facade of the building faces Sixth Avenue with a single series of stepped set-backs on the lower facade.
- 1270 Avenue of the Americas was completed in 1932 as the Americas Building, the north-west anchor of Rockefeller Center, the great Depression era undertaking.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
Also recorded for this building:
developer, fire protection engineering, master plan architect, owner, property management
Features & Amenities
- City landmark