1251 Avenue of the Americas
Structure in General
- 1251 Avenue of the Americas was built in 1967-1971 as the second building in the Rockefeller Center Extension across Sixth Avenue, with the Exxon oil company as the main occupant.
- The first plans for the three new office towers, called the Exxon Building, McGraw-Hill Building and Celanese Building, were made in 1963 by Harrison and Abramovitz. The plan arranged the buildings around a large sunken central plaza (with entrances to the new buildings, as well as the Rockefeller Center concourse), with the centermost one placed north-south, at right angles with the established Manhattan gridline. In the realized plan, however, all the buildings were placed east-west on adjacent blocks.
- Due to the buildings' excess bulk, as opposed to the allowances given by zoning, the western ends of the plots were to be used as north-south public promenades running through each block.
- The vertical facade striping consists of narrow limestone-clad piers as vertical structural members, with a similar structural system used on the other buildings within the new complex.
- Facing Sixth Avenue, there is a sunken plaza with a large pool and fountains as well as trees and the lifelike bronze statue Out to Lunch, of the same series as the one outside the former JPMorgan Chase Tower.
- The 54-storey Exxon building occupies the plot opposite the GE Building (today GE Building), and its vertically accentuated form rises to the height of 228.5 meters, being the second-tallest building in the whole Rockefeller Center.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
Also recorded for this building:
developer, fire protection engineering, general contractor, master plan architect, mechanical engineering, property management, steel supplier, structural engineering, tenant